Fall household hazardous waste collection Saturday
Roscommon County residents will have their last opportunity of 2009 to dispose of household hazardous waste during a collection day Saturday from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Roscommon County Health and Human Services Building. The site is 1 1.2 mile north of the M-55/M-18 intersection in Prudenville.
The service is free to all county residents. Organizers ask citizens, for their safety, to stay in line during the drop- off process.
Items accepted from Roscommon County households only will be anything labeled Caution, Corrosive, Danger, Flammable, Poison, Reactive, Toxic or Warning:
• Auto liquids and solvents • Cleaners • Corrosives and aerosols • Fertilizers • Glue • Medicines • Herbicides and pesticides • Oil-based paints
Special collections (please have separated):
• Clean Styrofoam containers, plates and cups (No "peanuts." If possible, break up and place in a clear plastic bag.
• Ammunition • Inkjet cartridges
• Computers and televisions
• Tires, on or off rims (up to 4 per household free; $2 each for 5 or more)
• Motor Oil
• Batteries (all types)
Items that will not be accepted are:
• Latex paint • Explosives/bombs/fireworks • Smoke alarms and detectors • Propane tanks
• Building materials
For disposal of those items, contact the Roscommon County Solid Waste Recycling Coordinator in the Crawford-Roscommon Conservation District office in the County Building at 500 Lake St., Roscommon, Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or call 275-3163.
Collections are funded by all of the townships in Roscommon County and the county board of commissioners.
The next collection is scheduled for May 22, 2010.