2011-06-09 / Front Page

Classic Car, Cycle Show June 11 at South Higgins Lake Park

South Higgins Lake State Park will host its fifth annual GO Get Outdoors Classic Car and Motorcycle Show from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.

The event allows spectators an up close look at some of the area’s best vintage cars and classic motorcycles. According to Patricia Preczewski, Department of Natural Resources park officer at South Higgins State Park, the classification is for vehicles 25 years old or older; however, the show also has a category for modified newer cars.

Spectators’ votes will determine the winners. Trophies will be awarded starting at 2 p.m. followed by the Classic Vehicle Cruise around Higgins Lake to Roscommon and back.

Food will be available at the park’s concession stand or folks can opt to bring a picnic basket and enjoy lunch alongside beautiful Higgins Lake.

Participants can pre-register their vehicle for $12 by calling the park office at 821-6374. Registrations on the day of the event will also be accepted for a $15 fee. The Recreation Passport is not required for a vehicle’s entry in the show. Proceeds from registration fees go toward producing next year’s car show and children’s programming at the park. For details about the event, the park, accessibility, or persons needing accommodations to attend this event, contact the park supervisor, 821-6374 or visit www.michigan.gov/southhiggins.

Spectators will need to display a Recreation Passport for entry into South Higgins Lake State Park. The Recreation Passport has replaced motor vehicle permits for entry into Michigan state parks, recreation areas and state-administered boating access fee sites. This new way to fund Michigan’s outdoor recreation opportunities also helps to preserve state forest campgrounds, trails, and historic and cultural sites in state parks, and provides park development grants to local communities.

Michigan residents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($10 for motor vehicles; $5 for motorcycles) by checking “YES” on their license plate renewal forms, or at any state park or recreation area. Nonresident motor vehicles must still display a valid nonresident Recreation Passport ($29 annual; $8 daily) to enter a Michigan state park, recreation area or state-administered boating access fee site. These can be purchased at any state park or recreation area, or through the Michigan e-Store at www.michigan. gov/estore.

Return to top

Click here for digital edition
2011-06-09 digital edition


What Tip-up Town event/activity are you most looking forward to?