2013-03-07 / Front Page


Robinson gets jail time for escape

Everett A. Robinson, the man who evaded law enforcement officials after escaping from police custody for one week in May, 2012, was sentenced in 34th Circuit Court, Roscommon, Tuesday on a dozen charges, many of them associated with his escape.

Some of the sentences imposed are concurrent (to be served at the same time) and some to be served consecutively (one following another).

Robinson was sentenced to nine and a half years to 15 years in prison for unarmed robbery, six years and four months to 10 years in prison for disarming a peace officer, two and a half years to four years in prison for escape awaiting trial (consecutive to the unarmed robbery sentence), two and a half years to five years in prison for felonious assault and three years and two months to five years in prison for felon in possession of a firearm.

Concurrent sentences include five terms of five to 10 years in prison on five counts of breaking and entering a building with intent.

He was also sentenced to two years and five months to four years in prison for bribing or intimidating a witness and seven and a half years to 15 years in prison for second degree home invasion. Fines and costs were also imposed.

Robinson received credit for 342 days served in jail.

“I feel that the sentence handed down to Everett Robinson was appropriate,” Roscommon County Sheriff Randy Stevenson told the Resorter. “I was very satisfied.”

Stevenson said Robinson will have “a lot of time” to think about the “fear and anxiety” he put area residents through for a week. He said Robinson told Judge Michael Baumgartner that he “knew he had made a mistake,” but then did not know what to do.

“He could have put his hands up and walked out of the woods,” Stevenson said.

Robinson escaped from police custody while being transported from the Arenac County Jail to the Roscommon County Jail and was on the run for a week, first entering Backus Township, before being captured in the woods in Nester Township. He had removed his orange jail uniform and spent the next several days running through the woods in underwear and no shoes.

He was apprehended the morning of Memorial Day while hiding in an elevated deer blind. He was still wearing the handcuffs on his right wrist and had the Arenac County deputy’s loaded handgun with him when he was taken into custody. One round had been spent from the firearm.

In a press conference May 28, 2012, at the Houghton Lake Michigan State Police Post, Capt. Robert Lesneski, commander of the 7th District, said, “This was a cooperative effort by all of our law enforcement colleagues.”

Stevenson said at the press conference that Robinson traveled roughly four miles from where he escaped and ran south about three miles and then about one mile east of F-97 in a sevenday period.

Return to top

Click here for digital edition
2013-03-07 digital edition


What is your favorite Winter Olympic sport to watch?